In questo blog troverete le mie personali esperienze con il mondo della birra, della panificazione, della pasticceria e del formaggio... e molto altro!


domenica 23 ottobre 2011

BELGIAN TRIPLE

BACK:

  

BELGIAN TRIPLE RECIPE


This is my first ALL GRAIN!


I made this beer with my friends Massimo, Valentina and Maria. We started with a belgian triple beer.
I used Pils, Vienna and Carapils malt for a total of 5,4 Kg.
This first experience went very well.
We didn't have any problems, so...brewing system has worked!!!
Maybe there are some steps to improve: OG values and efficiency were a little bit different from those predicted, but it was the first time, so...it's ok!

MILLING



The most difficult thing was the milling, because I didn't know how much it had to be fine. Fineness of grind strongly affects efficiency and quality of wort: very strong milling generates a lot of flour (turbid wort) and very weak milling generates low efficiency.

OG-value was five points lower than OG-value predicted, so I think that milling was weak. But I also had a turbid wort...so I don't know. Can it be a sparging or filtering problem?


MASH DESIGN

Next steps::
- protein rest (50 °C - 30 minutes)
- saccharification rest (66°C - 60 minutes)
- mash out (78°C - 10 minutes)

I used 3 liters of water per 1 kg of grain. Total water: 16 liters.
I put grain in hot water (50°C). In this picture there is my mash tun with grain bag.


I also checked pH and temperature (of course) with phmeter and thermometer.




An iodine test was used to check the completion of the starch convertion.


Finally mash out was performed to destroy all enzyme in the wort.


FILTERING



The next step was to filtering the wort with a speed rate of about 1L/min. Usually the first few liters are turbid, so we must put them on the grain bed again (2-3 times).



SPARGING



Sparging is trickling water through the grain to extract sugars.
Typically, 50% more water is used for sparging than was originally used for mashing.
When the wort reaches a desired level (typically about an inch) above the grainbed, water is added at the same slow rate that wort is being drained. The wort gradually becomes weaker and weaker, and at a certain point, the process was stopped.

I used 2-3 liters of water per 1 Kg of grain (total: 11 liters) at 78°C and I drained from the bottom.



BOILING


Boiling wort, ensures its sterility, and thus prevents infections. During the boil hops are added, which contribute bitterness, flavour, and aroma compounds to the beer.

I used Cascade from my own production. Saaz or other hops are needed for this style of beer, but I prefered to test my hops.



The boiling process serves also to terminate enzymatic processes, precipitate proteins, isomerize hop resins, and concentrate the wort.
I boiled for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Last 15 minutes Irish Moss was added to help proteins precipitation and to clear wort.


COOLING

After the whirlpool, the wort was cooled with a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger consists of tubing inside a tub of cold water.


YEAST PITCHIN

The cooled wort went into a fermentation tank and a type of yeast was added, or "pitched", to the fermentation tank.


FERMENTATION

It is left to ferment for about 15 days (with a racking in the middle).






RESULT



Excellent! I'm very satisfied.

Wonderful amber colour, no turbidity, good carbonation. Alc. 8% vol.

ALLA VOSTRA! CHEERS!!!!!

BACK:




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento